How do people typically hang lights on high roofs?
When it comes to hanging lights on high roof lines, or any roof line, the most important factor is safety.
Putting aside your pride and truly ask yourself the following two questions:
- Am I comfortable being 15, 20, 30, or even 40 feet up on a ladder or roof. Try it, climb up and see what you think.
- Can I work from these heights using both hands, a couple of tools, and any equipment needed for your lighting project.
Evaluate your roof line, walk the path and identify 3 things:
- Problem areas, areas that are difficult to reach. These areas will present specific risk
- Measure the footage from the base of your property. Lights come in strands or you can customize your own strands
- C9 bulbs – 12” spacing between bulbs – most common for roof lines
- C7 bulbs – 9” spacing between bulbs
- What equipment will you need to do the job. (You don’t want to be 25 feet up and realize you need something)
In our professional opinion and based on customizing your Christmas lights to your specific roof line, we suggest the following:
C9 Cord with 12” spacing or C7 Cord with 9” spacing
These come in spools of different lengths and allow you to measure and cut the cord to fit your exact measurements
Green, 18 AWG, SPT-1 Rated, Commercial Christmas Wire
These will allow you to connect different levels of roof ines without wasting bulbs and bulb cord and will allow you to connect other lighting areas to one outlet (arches, wreaths, windows, walkways)
The following retrofit bulbs will give you the freedom to customize your colors and change the pattern however and whenever you want.
SPT-1 Male Gilbert Plug – Green – Snap On “”Vampire”” Style Plug for SPT-1 Wire
SPT-2 Female Gilbert Plug – Green – Snap On “”Vampire”” Style Plug for SPT-2 Wire
As you customize your lengths, these adapters will allow you to connect all your illuminated areas (roof to porch to garage to walkways to windows)
This is where investing into LED lights pays off
The above items are the foundation of what you need to customize your roof line.
Choosing the right ladder and ladder safety is MOST IMPORTANT and here are 3 links that will help will your decision:
Types of lights and their features can be found on our Illuminated Accents Gallery page
Choose the right clips for the right lights – What are they clipping on, here are a few examples?
These will vary pending on your project and property features, here are a few examples:
We highly suggest getting professionals like Illuminated Accents to help, guide, and streamline your efforts in having a SAFE holiday season.